Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Marin Club brouhaha

I've extricated myself from a brou-ha-ha at the Marin Club. I was appointed to their Nominating Committee whereupon I reviewed the Club's Bylaws, which said that the Nominating Committee should be "elected" and that the current Board members should serve no more than 2 terms. If the current Board is reelected in November, they will start their 3rd term. What good are bylaws if they aren't being followed? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. And if the bylaws need to be changed, when? I do understand that a good Board is hard to recruit, and there is a tendency to keep the same Board when volunteers aren't beating a path to the Club's door to do all the work that the Club takes on. But, the Bylaws should have been worked on and revised after the Board was sworn in last November. To wait this long is not good Parliamentary procedure, I would think. Since I have resigned from the Nominating Committee, I have no dog in this hunt. However, I'm buying a copy of "Roberts Rules of Order for Dummies" tomorrow, just for the heck of it!